Thursday, August 16, 2012

Taylo'rs First Surgery

The days leading up to Taylor’s first surgery, I found myself awake at three in the morning cleaning my house. Aware that such hyper activity was unhealthy, I would make myself rest and I would literally lie in my bed completely exhausted but awake for hours unable to fall sleep; my mind was racing and I felt as if I couldn’t shut down.  

By the time Thursday morning rolled around the day of the surgery I had had very little sleep that week and I was extremely fatigued. Soothing my nerves immediately was seeing Max’s parents at the hospital; it was comforting to know that we had such a wonderful support team.

Soon after arriving Taylor was admitted and we all waited patiently for the doctor to come and meet with us and I was calm and collected, I was holding it together very well and I was very proud of myself.
When the doctor came in to talk to us he explained the surgery as a routine/typical surgery.  He went on to explain in detail what he would be doing to Taylor's vocals. The doctor was very thorough and I was soon set at ease, I trusted in his competence and thought he would do a great job. And though no one ever wishes for their child to undergo surgery, I was very thankful that there was in fact a procedure that would help Taylor one day eat on her own.

Soon after my parents came into the room we met the anesthesiologist. We were asked the same series of questions that most people are asked when they’re about to be admitted at a regular hospital and then he asked, "Has anyone in your family had any problems with anesthesia?" I replied, "No and Taylor has had it twice and it’s always been fine." He then said, "She could be put to sleep twenty times and all it takes is that one time and never come out of it." My heart sank and I began to feel ill in my stomach holding back the tears of his response. He then reached over to take Taylor from me and I gave her one last kiss and hesitantly passed her to him.

As Max and my mom chatted, my dad and I trailed behind and I was trying hard to hold back tears, but they started to spring from my eyes. My dad closed in and putting his arm around me he said, "Everything will be okay." I knew it was not major surgery, but still I was having a hard time holding it together. Shortly thereafter, Max comforted me and we went for a short walk.

A few hours later a nurse came out and said, "Two people can go back to see Taylor Alvarez." Max and I jumped out of our seats. I remember wanting to race back there to the recuperation room to see my baby girl but had to fall back and civilly listen to the doctor as he explained the surgery in detail. Moments later when we were finally able to see Taylor I noticed that she was groggy still heavily sedated from the anesthesia.  The nurse however, was nice and allowed me to hold Taylor.

As I held my baby girl, I thanked God for taking such good care of her and thanked Him for ensuring that she smile another day.


Thank you Maria Piork for helping edit. Please be sure to follow her at Marialovestowrite.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Surgery is scary for anyone to undergo much more in the case of an infant.

    Stay strong Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya! It won't be her last either! :( But, she's my trooper!

    ReplyDelete